Smut Marathon Round 1 Results and Round 2

SM round 2

Yesterday, the first round of this year’s Smut Marathon had come to a close as the final scores were tallied, and the winners were announced. There were some incredible entries right out of the gate, and many felt like the competition was very strong. Even I felt like my entry couldn’t stand up to the rest of them. Though I’m sorry to say, I didn’t rank very well in this first round. My entry ended up being one of the last place entrants, along with around 30 others. But the good news is: I wasn’t eliminated, and will be able to move on to the next round. So, silver linings, I guess. If you’re curious what my entry was, I’ll tell you. Keep in mind: the challenge was to write an erotic metaphor that is a single sentence and no more than 30 words. Along with a one-word title.

Climax

When she cries out in ecstasy, her voice is a familiar song you try to sing along to, even if you don’t know all the words.

I’ll admit, this isn’t exactly the kind of thing I would normally write. A friend of mine explained how it was good, but just didn’t sound like me, and that’s likely why it didn’t do so well. I agreed, so I’m going to move forward doing things my way from here on. Which brings us to Round 2!

I have a few concerns about the first round that I feel really need to be said, however. During the voting round, there was much commotion over entries that were actually similies, rather than metaphors. First off: the very fact these writers were able to come up with something as elegant as they did. Secondly, a lot of writers don’t know the difference between similes and metaphors; and that likely should have been mentioned to the writers beforehand. Especially as that difference played a role in how entries were judged.

Reading a lot of the feedback, I’m not sure it was clear to the judges what the difference between similes and metaphors are either. Their feedback made mentions of entries being “closer to a simile than a metaphor” or “almost created a simile”, which isn’t a correct assessment. You guys know I go all out when it comes to research, and every source I checked on grammar and the English language makes it very clear that the sole difference between a simile and a metaphor comes down to the usage of ‘like’ or ‘as’. If it uses neither of those words to make a comparison, it is a metaphor. I’m more than happy to list all my sources at the bottom of this post, if you want to check for yourself. So, to be clear: there’s no varying amounts of a phrase being simile or metaphor. It’s a coin with two faces and is definitively either one or the other. Even when it comes to what is being compared, it makes no difference.

• Life is a dream(Metaphor)
  • Life is like a dream(Simile)

Even when it came to the feedback, I have a couple concerns. Each judge left a short comment on each entry on how they could improve. The contest is established on the idea of helping writers become better writers. And while they did leave a lot of great feedback, I didn’t really get anything helpful from them. Whether by coincidence or not.

My hand written notes simply had two ticks by it – so it must work.

I asked for clarification and was told two ticks is a sign it was very good. A bit disheartening when the only thing that can be said is two ticks.

Much potential, but the way you executed it, makes it more of a simile than a metaphor.

No usage of ‘like’ or ‘as’ means: no, it isn’t.

12, 65 unfortunately these felt too convoluted, meaning unclear

Well, this at least this tells me something. I suppose I did make the metaphor a bit complicated when I added the part about not knowing all the words.

Nice, but not erotic.

…. ok.

I’m not going to be salty, or bitter, about how this all turned out, but will try to remain optimistic. As one of the other writers mentioned to me: judging is subjective anyway. There’s not much we can do to argue the results, even if a judge does happen to be incorrect in their assessments. All I can do is try again, and hope my creativity shows more in the next round. But when Round 2 comes to an end, you can bet I’m going to go all out on feedback!

Sources:
EnglishGrammar.org
Grammarly.com
YourDictionary.com
PrimaryResources.co.uk
Really-Learn-English.com

9 comments for “Smut Marathon Round 1 Results and Round 2

1. February 19, 2018 at 7:04 pm

The simile v metaphor conundrum was frustrating to me too, particularly because the definitions of each were, actually, laid out in the assignment. The challenge with this sort of competition is that if it’s a technical writing challenge then the adjudication must be consistently technical whilst judges also vote on the merit of the prose, imagery, etc. I don’t envy the judges, and I’m looking forward to seeing how Round 2 goes.

Liked by 1 person

• February 19, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Well, we were told what a metaphor is, but not how it’s different from a simile.

• February 19, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Perhaps that’s why round one wasn’t an elimination round? So there was room for error and dialogue?

Liked by 2 people

2. February 19, 2018 at 8:03 pm

I think the trouble with the last critique is that your metaphor is presented out of context. I think if you were to set it up correctly in a scene using that metaphor it could be highly erotic.

Your metaphor suggests an emotional connection that the reader hasn’t been given.

This applies to the “unclear” comment you received as well. This is a metaphor that is unable to stand alone outside of the story it belongs to.

I find that some of the best metaphors incorporate or build upon the thematic symbolism of the piece.

I hope that helps?

Liked by 1 person

3. February 19, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Additionally, I also feel that it reads more like poetry rather than prose – not a bad thing in my opinion – but this might be why some of the hang ups around it occurred.

Liked by 1 person

4. CimmerianSentiment
    February 19, 2018 at 8:58 pm

I always hear the phrase, “writers need thick skin”. Totally true. It’s hard to hear criticism on something we pour our hearts and souls into. Keep pouring and keep writing, let nobody stop your words with words. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• February 19, 2018 at 9:08 pm

I agree. It wasn’t that the feedback was bad, it just didn’t help me identify what could have been improved. Might as well have just said, “Not bad, try harder”.

Liked by 1 person

• CimmerianSentiment
        February 19, 2018 at 9:21 pm

I’m not sure everyone understands what ‘feedback’ actually means. 😉

Liked by 1 person

5. February 21, 2018 at 10:06 am

It’s good to get the discussion going in metaphors and similes, but I also want to add that where the Smut Marathon is a competition and there will be a winner in the end, it’s not a competition where I have academic judges. I hear you that there has been nothing about the difference between a metaphor and a simile, so might give some attention to this on the Smut Marathon blog in a future post. Thank you for taking part in the Smut Marathon, for blogging about it, and I sure look forward to your entry for round 2 🙂

Rebel xox